Instructions for patients going to sleep (general anesthesia)The patient should not eat or drink for (6) hours prior to surgery unless otherwise instructed.
Except:All regularly prescribed medications should still be taken as directed with a minimal amount of water on the day of surgery. Please contact our office if you have any questions regarding your medications.
- Patients who wear contact lenses should leave them out or bring their lens case and remove the lenses prior to surgery.
- Female patients are requested not to wear makeup or jewelry (dangling earrings or chains).
- Patients should also plan to wear a short-sleeve shirt or a shirt with loosely woven sleeves. To permit access to the area where anesthesia is to be administered at the level of the elbow.
- Whoever accompanies the patient should plan to remain in the office through the surgery to be on hand at all times. Normally office procedures are short. 30 minutes to one hour, and usually there is no delay in departure.
- The patient should not have any other plans for the remainder of the day of surgery.
- The patient should be prepared to have a liquid and soft diet for 24-48 hours following surgery.